Thursday, October 6, 2011

Foraging for Food - DANDELION (Tea)



While preparing a garlic patch from my aged horse manure pile which my neighbor kindly dumped on our property for us, I found a a healthy dandelion with a large taproot growing in it.

I have to admit that I have yet to acquire the bitter taste of dandelion leaves. I've never been able to pick enough flowers to make wine, nor seen roots big enough to cook or make into dandelion coffee.

This plant was too pretty to waste so I decided to turn it into tea. Since I'm no great expert at identifying plants, I'm going to stick to easily identifiable plants with no toxic look-alikes. Dandelion, with its jagged tooth-like leaves is one such plant.

The resulting tea is mild with a slight 'green' taste. Definitely something I would drink again. 
With a host of uses, healing properties, and vitamins, we plant to plant a big patch of dandelion next year. 

Don't kill it - EAT IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment