Sunday, April 22, 2012

Deer Lung Rempah

This recipe continues my posts on using as much of the deer we caught for food. I've looked all over for deer lung recipes but came up with nothing. You can of course, just grind it up with other meats into a burger or lunch meat or scrapple of some sort. But I decided that I wanted to try it on its on. So, I went back to my roots - Malay style beef lungs. If you want the original recipe for Paru Goreng, you can follow this link. My recipe is inspired by that but simpler.

I used a basic rempah for the seasoning. Rempah is basically a mix of spices that can be wet or dry. I added blachan, which is a fermented then dried shrimp paste or powder. It may also be called terasi (Indonesia), gapi (Thailand), bagoong (Philippines) and balichǎo (Macao). Thanks for Uncle Phil for the information.You should be able to get this in a well stocked Asian grocer.

The lungs turned out to be very good. Not at all game-y, and is similar to the deer heart.

Ingredients:

Deer or beef lungs (approx 2 lbs)
1/2 Tbsp blachan
Salt and fish sauce to taste

Rempah
2 sticks of lemon grass
1 piece of galangal about 3ins
2 tsp of balchan
3-4 tsp corainder powder
1 large onion.

Method





In a large enough sauce pan or pot, bring water to a boil. Add the lungs and simmer for a few hours, until soft. When done, cut into slices.

In a processor, course grind the onion. Remove and fry it until translucent. Return to processor and add the other rempah ingredients. Grind to a paste. You can use this base for curry as well by adding curry powder to the mix.

Use about 3-4 Tbsp of the rempah. Fry the rempah and blachan in a pan until fragrant. Add the lung slices. Add salt and fish sauce to taste. Serve on its own or with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment