Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Leftover Fries in Enchiladas


To be honest, this is the first time I've ever had enchiladas so I really have to idea how they should really taste but my version filled with mostly leftovers was still a hit!
This recipe comes a highly rated recipe and the leftover home fries that still haunted me - even after I had already turned a bunch into Southwestern stew.
At first I thought about making potato pancakes out of them. But, there wasn't quite enough. So I bulked it up with canned diced tomatoes, green chili (also leftover from the Southwestern stew) and canned sweet corn kernels.
This is a forgiving recipe so you can fill your enchiladas with just about any ingredients that suit Mexican cuisine.

Ingredients

Tortilla skins
Leftover fries (cubed)
Leftover diced tomatoes with juice
1 can corn kernels
Leftover green chili
Leftover Cheddar cheese, shredded (the original recipe calls for queso but I never buy that so this was a substitute)
Salt and garlic powder to taste

Oil for frying

Method

Pre-heat the oven to 450F.

In a hot pan, add fries, tomatoes and corn. Mix well. Season to taste. Portion out on tortillas and roll them up. In another pan, heat about 2" of oil until very hot. Carefully place the tortillas, one at a time, seam-side down into the hot oil.
Fry until golden brown. Turn the rolls and fry the other side until golden brown.
Drain on paper towels then place the rolls into a foil-lined pan. Top with green chili (or salsa or pico digao). Sprinkle cheese right on top.
Put in the oven for about 8-10 min or until the cheese is evenly melted.

Side note: I used 505 green chili because that was all I had on hand. Do not skip frying the rolls. Frying them brought them to a higher level, even though they get soft under the toppings.
I recommend not buying the tortilla skins from a regular supermarket. It's often expensive - $3+ for a small pack.
You can instead get large packs (about 4-5 times more than what you get at a supermarket) for about $3 as well from Sam's Club or Costco. You can also opt to make them yourself but unless you want the freshness and/or want to control the ingredients, I don't feel that it's worth my time making these from scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment