Thursday, December 1, 2011

Buying and Storing Ginger



I wanted to include a post on using fresh ginger. Since I use a decent amount over the year in my recipes, I think it's important to include a post on this topic.

When I was a kid, I always remember my mum having a large chunk of ginger root by the sink. Since it's so humid in Singapore, I never remember seeing the root every really drying and shriveling out.

In Colorado however, the roots shrivel up from the dry air QUICKLY, rendering them useless after sometime. At $4.99/lb at regular grocery stores, that gets expensive.

The best place to get fresh ginger roots would be from an Asian grocer. In the Denver area, the price is usually about $0.98-$1.10/lb, which of course, is a fraction of regular store prices. Since I live a fair distance from the Asian stores, I have to buy my supplies in fairly large amounts.

To choose fresh ginger, always try to pick the firmest root with the smoothest skin. Never buy wrinkled roots. Sometimes you find nubs that are not as good as the rest of the root, just break those off.

Storing /Freezing Ginger

Rinse the roots under cool running water to remove any debris. Use a potato peeler to remove the outer skin.

Cut into thumb-sized chunks (or whatever size you normally use per recipe). I find thumb-sized chunks work well.

Ginger ready for freezing - cost less than $1 and should last at least 6-12 months
 
Store all the chunks in a freezer bag and pop it in the freezer for later use.

I have kept ginger frozen this way for over a year and it still came out fine. The chunks may form ice crystals around it over time. Just break off a chunk you need to use and rise the ice off. Works every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment