Monday, December 12, 2011

Colorado Kuay Chap





It's been a long time since I've had Kuay Chap or, translated from Teochew, 'cake juice'. I know, it doesn't sound very appetizing. The dish, consisting of rolled rice noodles and pig offal probably won't sit down well with most North American palates.

I didn't have any pig intestines on hand but I did have the deer intestines that I wanted to try. I washed it out well and cooked it. Unfortunately, it did not taste like pig intestines so it went to the chickens. I was a good thing I didn't save too much because it was a LOT of work cleaning it out.

I had no choice but to make do with just the deer tongue and with the ingredients I bought from my local Asian supermarket.

I bought some made-in-Thailand dried Kuay Tiao. It was labeled as "Rice Flake". I also got a small pack of Giam Chai (salted vegetable).


Ingredients

Dried 'Rice Flakes' or kuay tiao or rice noodles
Cooked pig's blood, cubed
Pig's intestines (optional)
Tongue, sliced (optional)
Pork Belly sliced so that there are 3 layers in every slice (optional)
Tau Pok (Fried Bean Curd), rinsed and squeezed, cut into quarters if it's the large version
Hard boiled egg, shell removed
Dark Soy Sauce
Water
1 Star Anis
Salted Vegetable

Cilantro (for garnish)
Chili sauce or Sriracha sauce for dipping (optional)

Method 

Cook rice flakes in boiling water until the noodles are soft and roll up. Set aside.

Boil dark soy sauce and water in the ratio of about 2:1 portions. If it is too salty, add more water, if it's not salty enough, add more soy. Add all the ingredients except the salted vegetable, chili sauce, cilantro and noodles into the soy mixture. Simmer until everything looked braised in the soy.

When the egg becomes brown from the soy, remove and slice lengthwise into quarters. Serve a little bit of each items with the noodles and top with the soy gravy. Garnish with cilantro.



No comments:

Post a Comment