Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pulled Elk (or Pork) Burgers





I used meat from the elk neck that was given to us. The neck was stewed in water until cooked, then the meat was pulled.

You can use your favorite barbecue sauce for this recipe but I made mine up with stuff I had on hand.

Ingredients

Pulled elk (or pork) meat, cooked
Onions, peeled and sliced
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced

Barbecue Sauce

I used a mix of:
  • Distilled white vinegar
  • Ketchup
  • Organic sugar
  • Maple syrup
  • Maple sugar 
  • Kecap Manis (Dark sweet soy sauce)
  • Salt 
  • Black ground pepper
 Method

 Cook onions in a little oil until soft. Add garlic and cook until softened. Add meat and mix well. Add the barbecue ingredients, adjusting the amounts to taste. Stew on low heat for a few hours. 

Serve on burger buns.


I strongly suggest using Kecap Manis because it adds a nice flavor to the sauce. You can get it at any Asian grocer. I get mine for about $3.50 for a 21oz bottle. If you can't find it, Amazon does carry it (at an outrageous price of $21+ for two 21oz bottles)



No comments:

Post a Comment