Friday, November 18, 2011

Gleaning Food for the Chickens & Compost



A couple of weeks ago, I finally got around to working on gleaning food for the chickens and compost. With chicken feed ever increasing in price, it was time to bulk up their feed with other free stuff.

I called my local Safeway and King Scoopers. No luck - Safeway was contracted to another company. King Scoopers flatly refused - they said they throw their spoilt stuff out. What a shame!

I refused to be discouraged. I called a local food pantry. The manager was pretty adamant that they didn't have any expired food stuff because they had just opened. However, if she were to come across any, she'd give me a call. After my call, something must have clicked with her because one week later, I got a call - I had a box of expired stuff to pick up! YAY!

Week 1's glean. Not too bad!

Expired in 2001?! Donor, you shouldn't have - really...you shouldn't...

Since the chickens don't like soupy stew-y food, I just poured all the sauce + creamy soup together and cooked some cheap rice in it. They loved it!

This week, I got even MORE stuff. With the food drives going into full swing for the holidays, I got FOUR boxes of stuff.


Of course, there was more yummy-ness including Bisquick that expired in 2000 and an opened bottle of soy sauce that expired in 2009...YUMMM!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment