Monday, September 12, 2011

Today I decided to use some cod fish which I bought on sale at Safeway sometime ago. I kept it a tad too long in the freezer and it was rather dry looking and freezer burnt. Not waiting to waste it, I decided to mask the reduced quality by mixing it up with some potatoes and making cod cakes out of it.
This is a slight variation of the classic salt-cod recipe.




Approx 1lb cod (defrosted)
2 large potatoes, cubed
1 medium onion, diced
All purpose flour for the breading
2 eggs
Salt, black pepper, Old Bay Cajun seasoning to taste

For pan-frying:

Olive oil
A pat of butter

Bring salted water to a boil. Add cod and potatoes. Boil then reduce heat to medium and cook until the potatoes are soft and the fish flakes with a fork. 

Heat the olive oil and butter in a frying pan.

Add a little salt to the flour and mix well.


Drain the fish and potatoes and allow to cool a little. Mash well. Add seasoning, onions and eggs. Form into patties and coat with the flour mixture. When the oil mixture is hot enough (oil should sizzle when you drop some flour into it) pan fry the patties until golden brown.


Best served with tartar sauce.

I didn't have homemade tartar sauce so I used some Heinz ketchup. I used the Old Bay because that's what I had on hand. I think any seafood seasoning would work well with this.

Verdict:

The cod cakes were AWESOME! Even David who isn't big on seafood cakes loved it. A+++. It was a really great way to consume a little too-old cod without sacrificing taste.





No comments:

Post a Comment