Sunday, September 25, 2011

Home-Made Pumpkin Puree

This one was an undertaking that stemmed from necessity. I had this pumpkin which my mum grew in our garden over a year ago. It had been sitting in the kitchen since and was starting to get a little mushy and scary-looking.


So, in my bid to not waste it, I decided to make puree out of it.

I cut it into sections and it really didn't look too bad! I just had to cut off the top part which was rotted.


Next, scrape out the seeds (I saved those for another project) and the stringy bits. I saved those for the chickens. If you don't have fowl, be sure to save them for your lasagna garden or the compost!




Cut into sections.




Place sections face-down into an aluminum-lined pan shallowly filled with water.

Bake in a preheated over at 350F for about 30 min or until the flesh is soft.







When cool enough to touch, scrape the flesh out with a spoon.







The pumpkin skin went to the chickens and I stored my scrapings in the fridge for about a week before using an immersion blender to turn the flesh into puree. My pumpkin made about 2 cups of puree which was just perfect for making pumpkin muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment