Sunday, September 25, 2011

Home-Made Granola Bars



This is the first time I've tried making these. They are very easy to make and incredibly expensive to buy at the store. I found a good recipe at allrecipes. However, I made some modifications:

Ingredients

  • 2 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1 cup organic whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup organic sugar
  • 2 tablespoons molasses
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup organic apple sauce
  • 1/2 cup honey - be sure to buy N.American honey. Avoid Chinese or Indian (actually Chinese) honey.
  • 1 egg
  • 2 teaspoons (homemade) vanilla extract

Method


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper, and spray with vegetable oil spray.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together oats, flour, molasses, sugar,  salt, cinnamon, chocolate chips and cranberries. In a smaller bowl, thoroughly blend apple sauce honey, egg, and vanilla; pour into the flour mixture, and mix by hand until the liquid is evenly distributed. Press evenly into the prepared baking pan.
  3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are golden. Cool completely in pan before turning out onto a cutting board and cutting into bars.
 This is a very flexible recipe. I added the cranberries because I had some leftover bits that have been sitting around for a while. We love chocolate so I added the chips.

I get my organic applesauce, crasins and chocolate chips (72oz), organic sugar and vanilla beans from Costco. So far, I've found their prices to be the cheapest, especially if you're able to pair the prices with their coupons.

If a reader has even cheaper sources for any ingredients, please let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment