Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Beginnings...

OK. So this blog starts with my foray into making my own deli meat. Well, actually, it starts earlier, with having 2 baby girls and the sticker shock of buying 'all natural' deli meat.

My husband and I have been striving to eat better over the years and with the birth of our 2 girls, we wanted to make sure that they were not going to be one of their generation who will have a shorter lifespan than us.

So, back to the lunch meat. I did manage to find some Hormel All Natural Lunch Meat but at $4.99/7-8oz, it was just way too much to pay on a regular basis. So began my search online for a homemade lunch meat recipe. I found this one:

We used

Approx 2lbs chicken thigh meat

2 egg whites from our ducks +

A mix of sauces and spices in our kitchen:

Salt, black pepper, white pepper, ketchup, ketup manis (a dark sweet soy sauce found in Asian groceries), A1 sauce, honey, cumin, fennel and some onion powder.

Pulse everything in a food processor until lumpy. 

Shape in a foiled and oiled loaf pan.

Bake at 350 F until done.

Chill and slice


The verdict: Promising but a little too strong in BBQ taste. Our texture was off as well. I think we pulsed the meat a little too long - it turned out more like a meat loaf. It was still good but we'll have to re-experiment with this!


Here's a picture of what's left of it after a chow-down. As you can see, it doesn't look too hot so more on this later!

No comments:

Post a Comment