Sunday, January 22, 2012

Venison Meat Balls

OK. So I was inspired by Ikea's Swedish Meatballs so I decided to make my own with venison and pork. They're charging "only" $9.99 for a frozen box that feeds a family of 4. $10 for a home cooked meal's pretty expensive. I wasn't impressed with the price so I made my own and came up with enough meatballs for 5 family meals at a fraction of the price.

The resulting meat balls are very versatile. I have used them for my copycat Ikea Swedish Meatballs, sweet & sour meat balls and spaghetti and meatballs.



Ingredients

2 lbs ground chuck venison (or beef)
1 lb ground pork
3/4 c milk
1/4 c breadcrumbs
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/4 c dried onion flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
Butter or oil for pan frying

Method

Since my venison was processed and frozen as chunks, I pulsed it in the food processor until roughly minced. See why it's better to grind your own beef anyway.

Add all the other ingredients except the butter/oil and process until well mixed. In a pan, heat butter/oil over medium heat. Cook a bit of the meat mixture until done then re-season the raw meat to taste if necessary.

It is easy to make regular sized meatballs with your hands:



Use a spoon to make the final scoop off your hand.


Make all the meatballs. Then in the heated pan, pan-fry all sides until done. I find that pan-frying is better than baking as it locks the juices in rather than drying the meat out.


No comments:

Post a Comment