Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Creamed Ham and Mushrooms on Quinoa

OK. Every festive season our local Safeway and King Soopers sells ham for $0.99/lb. So, once again, I could not resist. Price-wise, it was a good buy - I portioned my $10.xx piece of ham into 10 meal packets + the ham bone. That meant about $0.99 base per meal for the family.

Health-wise, the purchase probably wasn't such a good buy. factory-farmed meat isn't good. Factor in the nitrates etc, not such a good buy. But, I still bought it.


Now..what to do with it. I had leftover whipping cream, the ham, green beans in the freezer, mushrooms that needed to be cooked and I wanted to serve it with quinoa.

I found a recipe for Kentucky creamed ham. It is traditionally served with rice or corn bread but worked very well with quinoa.

Ingredients
Butter
Flour
Milk
Heavy Cream
Mushrooms, sliced (I used fresh Shitake)
Ham, cubed
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, nutmeg, dried dill weed to taste.

Method

Saute mushrooms in some oil or melted butter. Once cooked, remove the mushrooms and set aside. Melt more butter in the pan. Using the butter and flour, make a roux. Slowly stir milk into the roux to make a thick sauce. Add cream. Add mushrooms and ham. Add seasonings to taste.

Serve over cooked quinoa and green beans sauted in some butter and seasoned lightly with salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment