Monday, April 23, 2012

Kulski Homemade Polish Noodles

OK, so this was one of those dishes that came from really not having much to cook with..I had butter, eggs from our chickens (as usual), my bulk flour, rice, some dried Chinese noodles, venison in the freezer and half a head of cabbage from a Saint Patrick's Day sale that was rapidly drying in my crisper.
I had to use up that cabbage and some of my eggs so I found this recipe.

I skipped the part about having to dry the noodles and just threw them fresh into boiling water (they cook quickly). DELICIOUS even on their own!

However, I needed to use up that cabbage so I turned it into Polish cabbage noodles.

Ingredients

Kulski or Wide Egg Noodles, cooked
Cabbage, shredded
2-4 Tbsp Butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Bacon or Polish sausage (optional but I think they would have made the noodles even more yummy)

Method

Salt the shredded cabbage and allow to stand for 15-30 min. This will draw out the moisture and the bitterness in the cabbage. Wring the cabbage of as much liquid as you can. Discard the liquid.

 In a pan, melt some butter over medium heat. If you have bacon or sausage, you can use less butter as the grease will come out from the meat. If you're using meat, add the meat and cook until slightly browned.

Add the cabbage and saute until it's slightly translucent. Add noodles and mix everything well in the oil.


No comments:

Post a Comment